Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Cenotes & Akumal Beach Tour

“Cenote” is pronounced, say-no-tay 
 
      A combination of various geological events and climate changes created an incredible and unique ecosystem in Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. These caves and underground rivers were created naturally over 6,500 years ago. Over the past 20 years, experienced scuba divers have explored these caves discovering more than 300 miles of interconnected passageways and caves that make up this amazing one of a kind ecosystem. These cenotes, only found in this part of the world, offer a unique experience to snorkelers or divers who wish to venture through caverns full of crystal clear water, stalagmites and stalactites.
 
      I stole the above description off the internet because I had no idea how to explain a Cenote.   They were really cool though and during our stay we had the opportunity to visit and swim in two of them.  To be honest, I get really freaked out swimming in caves and deep water, but I made myself go in the below cave, and as long as you follow the red rope you won't get lost.  Inside the cave there were tons of stalacites.  There isn't a huge amount of fish living in this water because of it's mineral water, but mineral water makes for some pretty colors found all around.    

      Okay, every time I look at this picture I can't help but laugh!!!  When we arrived at our first Cenote, Monica told us the only way to see the bottom was to jump off the cliff (about a 20 ft. drop).  My Dad and Dianne were freaked out!  But they also wanted to see it so ultimately they took the plunge.  After swimming around for a while they noticed a family walking down a pathway that led from the top to the bottom where we were.  We had such a good laugh when Dianne realized she got conned into jumping off the cliff!  Hahahaha!!!!
Akumal Beach
 
      Monica took us to Akumal beach for snorkeling.  It's an area where fresh water percolating through ground limestone meets salt water and creates a nutrient-rich habitat for marine life.  It is also a habitat for endangered Green Sea Turtles, which was definitely the highlight!  Snorkeling was amazing here because we were able to swim with sea turtles and sting rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment